Sunday, July 19, 2009

From Diary of a PACS Engineer



Dear Q8PACS Members,

My Name is Mr. Q8PACS Engineer. I have been working in Kuwait as Service Engineer in the field of Medical Imaging for many years. I supported Modality as well as PACS system.


Working in Kuwait is enriching experience for me. In Kuwait, I have had the opportunity to learn and work on latest technology.
In general, customers (Kuwaitis and non-Kuwaitis) are heart-strong. If they like and accept somebody, they will overlook his weaknesses. This sometimes reduces professionalism at workplace. Although, end users (Radiographers, Radiologists, PACS admins, RIS admins) are talented and hard working in general, they do not get enough recognition from management.

During my career, I experienced a high level acceptance and respect once I proved myself. Sometimes they even protected me when I do some mistakes.
Frankly speaking, I have noticed some flaws in the system which can be easily removed. In fact, the system in Kuwait spends too much on showoff and cares less for substance.

Often, end users have no say in selection of their equipment, and systems. Their knowledge and experience is not utilized in this process. As a result of this, vendors are selling what they want and not what customers wanted. Actually, neither lower nor middle management have enough power in purchasing.
They do not even have their independent budget. For example, I have seen some Chairman of imaging depts. buying stationary (for dept use) from their own pocket!

Fortunately, I have seen lot of young people taking important positions throughout MOH. They are dynamic, practical, result oriented. They have deep desire for change in the system. I wish them success and I wish Kuwait a brighter future.

Thanks,
Q8PACS Engineer

No comments:

Graphic Design - Blog for Graphic Designers